1. In-home providers provide child care services in their own homes.
2. You can be a child care provider in your own home without being certified or licensed as long as you have no more than six children in your care at any given time. This includes any children of your own under the age of six. However, many parents prefer a certified provider because they have met certain standards.
3. A provider must be certified by the county or licensed by the state to receive payment from public funds.
4. Providers receive no benefits such as health insurance, retirement, paid vacations, or unemployment.
5. Providers are responsible for paying taxes, social security and any other fees due. It is also recommended you obtain liability insurance to cover your child care business.
A Child Care Center provides care for a number of children at any given time, but they must be licensed by the state. The state determines the number of children they have room for based on floor space and number of workers.
Type A Homes have seven to twelve children (or four to twelve children if four children are under two years of age) cared for in the provider's personal residence. The provider's own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. Type A homes must be licensed.
Type B Homes have one to six children cared for in the provider's personal residence. No more than three children may be under two years of age. The provider's own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. A license is not necessary to operate a Type B home. However, care for more than 6 children requires a license. Type B homes must be certified by the county Department of Job and Family Services if the child care is paid for with public funds.
Coming Soon - Ohio's Child Care Information Data Systems (CCIDS)
Lorain County Job & Family Services
42485 North Ridge Road
Elyria, OH 44035-1057
Main Phone: (440) 323-5726
Lorain: (440) 244-4150
Fax: (440) 323-3422
TTY/TDD: (440) 284-4125
Cash/Food/Medical Call Center: (440) 284-4300
Child Support Call Center: (440) 284-4401